Friday, June 05, 2009

Let's Make a Trebuchet!

A trebuchet is a siege engine that was employed in the Middle Ages either to smash masonry walls or to throw projectiles over them. It is sometimes called a "counterweight trebuchet" or "counterpoise trebuchet" in order to distinguish it from an earlier weapon that has come to be called the "traction trebuchet", the original version with pulling men instead of a counterweight.
-via Wikipedia

After Game 1 (Holding a 25 point lead throughout the entire 4th quarter? It's a wrap.), I helped Jason build a trebuchet for his cousin. I loved science projects back in elementary and high school. My favorites were the toothpick towers and egg drop! This was another old elementary school project I made with Stephen. I wanted to set it on fire, but I guess he loves it too much. This thing is probably 15 years old now!






Jason and Bryan get to work.




My contribution. Since I was the only one with glasses on, I worked with the machinery. We never got to really use this stuff in elementary school. Usually all the wood was precut.


Everyone was helping out.


Stephen...not so much.




THERE YOU GO STEPHEN!


Late night food break. Like a beacon of light for my dark empty stomach.




We didn't get it finished, but got a lot of it done. We're thinking of building a railgun next week. No joke.

No comments: