Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Nov 08: Blueprint 3 Concert @ UCLA

I've seen Jay-Z 3 times prior to this concert, and this was easily the best one to date. He had a good mix of his new stuff from Blueprint 3 and his older stuff from some of his previous albums. And he had a great line-up to back him up (J. Cole, Wale, & N.E.R.D). HOV! Mr. Hoffman accompanied me to the concert.

Thanks Toe-Knee for letting me bum some of your pictures! I need to get that S90.

There were quite a few homies from San Diego in the building, but we randomly ran into Tailgate Approved himself, Ollie! "I was wondering who was rockin' Lovewright out here!"


I'm a pretty big fan of the opening acts, so we got to catch J. Cole's short 3-song set, and Wale get the crowd pumped up.


For those wondering, he was rockin' a BBC fitted, and red Supreme Blazers.


Brandeezy x me, Section 116!


N.E.R.D! They performed 3 new songs with their new member Rhea. If you EVER get the chance to see N.E.R.D headline, TAKE IT! And take me with you!


"Security, you need to let Cali just wild the f*ck out and let them rush the stage. They'll be back in their seats for Jay-Z. THIS IS F*CKIN' CALI!!" -Pharrell


Drumoff!


Some special guests during the N.E.R.D set were Lupe Fiasco.


And all the girls standing in the line for the bathroom.


Almost time for the main event and the seats next to us were still empty. Bummed.


Countdown to Hov.


It's the Roc! Memph Bleek always smokin' that la la la.


The background set was a giant screen in the shape of the New York skyline.


Special guest Rihanna. Love you Ri-Ri! We gon run this town tonight!


Empire State of Mind with Roc Nation artist Bridget Kelly (who has a striking resemblance to Lanie from Hellz Bellz).


Special guest Roc Nation artist J. Cole. A Star is Born.


And of course he brought out Pharrell and performed Motivation, dedicated to all the haters. I'M SO AMBITIOUS!


During his classics melody, Jay got super bummed out when Big Pimpin' came on and the crowd didn't wild out. Our bad.


Throw your diamonds in the sky!


At the end of every show, Jay likes to spot people out in the crowd. I can't believe that kid didn't throw up the diamond though.


He closed with Forever Young.


I wasn't able to go to Guys & Dolls, so I grabbed a late dinner in Little Tokyo with the homie Elmer (Hellz Bellz). Thanks for letting me crash at the pad dude. Much appreciated.

Pork cutlet udon soup. This hit the damn spot. I spent the rest of the night chattin' it up with Elmer about the show. Playing in the background of this little Japanese cafe was Empire State of Mind.


Thanks Brandon for coming to the concert with me. You definitely kept up with my intensity.

1 comment:

--- said...

definitely a really good show. so strange to see my boy on the big screen, but i guess it is what it is. skateboard p is a SPAZ! hahahaha too bad we didnt link - that udon looked soooo killer. jell.