Saturday, October 11, 2008

It All Comes Crashing Down

What's with me quoting N.E.R.D all the time?

Those of you who know me or have gotten to know me, know that I've been on the high of my life for the past 6 months or so. Funny how one week can make you forget all of that in an instant.

So it's been quite the ride on the global economy for the past week and I don't normally like to talk about work on here because it's not that interesting. Working in the mutual fund industry, I talk to a lot of brokers and customers on the phone. I must say that its sad to see people's retirement and educational savings accounts lose large chunks in a matter of a few weeks. This recession is only a big deal now because it's the first time that I've seen the actual effects of it. I think in my lifetime there have been 2 or 3 total, but when you're a kid, it doesn't matter to you.

Something that took me back to my childhood this week was volunteering at the Laurel Elementary School during my lunchbreak on Wednesday (and EVERY WEDNESDAY FROM NOW ON!). I signed up for the Sports at Lunch program through my company to play basketball with 3rd and 4th graders (sorry no pictures). It was the first time in probably 14 years that I've stepped on the grounds of an elementary school and it was so nostalgic. Lunchtables. The short volleyball nets. The grassy field for soccer. Foursquare outlines. Handball courts. TETHERBALL!? Dayum. The kids don't really play basketball at this age yet, so we just worked on shooting form and played around the world. I beat those kids good I must add. Not physically of course. I miss being a kid. AND I MISS RECESS!
Photobucket

That was definitely the high of my week. The low came shortly after. I left work early for a doctor's appointment. On the way there while trying to merge from the offramp into the sidestreets, I thought the coast was clear and pulled forward. Nope.
Photobucket

Ughhhhh..... That's the front right side of my bumper after it bumps the back left bumper of another car. ;alskdjf;adsjfoih13fpgevipegh ew ihype

After my appointment, I stopped by AVNT/GRDE to pick up some flyers for the Dunkxchange this weekend. In the box-o-flyers was this little guy. Watch out if you're in the backroom.
Photobucket

Yesterday ended on some good notes though. First, this cookie from the managers at work for all of our hard work during the toughest week the economy has ever seen. :)
Photobucket

The other good note was that I was able to work out the fender bender with the other party without reporting it. My dad and I went to his house after work yesterday and we had release forms and everything. A chunk comes out of my checking, but at least they were good sports about it. The guy was like, "Yea a personal check isn't a problem. You're a cool guy." He's a 68-year old dude by the way. I think he's a cool guy too.

As for me? Gotta work some overtime to get some extra cash for the holidays and the obvious fixer upper. And more importantly, gotta stay positive. For every bad week there's ALWAYS a good week (and in that order). Time to resume my high. I'm a lifeaholic. I'M OUT BITCHES!

1 comment:

fatjodz said...

you do quote nerd alot. how many times did u see them this year?

sorry bout the car bro, at least you aint takin a hit on the insurance right?