Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 19: Johnny Cupcakes Tour x 5&A Dime

I didn't think I would be able to make the event since it was a Monday. But I got the next day off, I had a carpool buddy (Brian, also with Tuesday off), and no traffic on the way down. I pulled up and got VIP parking in the loading zone with plenty of time to spare.

I'm glad I was able to make it down in time and support Jay in this momentous event. I always felt that these two (Johnny Cupcakes and 5&A Dime) had similarities as far as bringing something unique to the fashion world and remaining true to what each of them likes. Respect the hustle.

And Johnny himself is a pretty funny dude. He was crackin' corny jokes, doing magic tricks, and telling funny stories. Plenty of fans and admirers lined up for the opportunity to meet Johnny, and Johnny returned the favor, spending time with each one.

Check out other blogger coverage including the official video from the Johnny Cupcakes crew:
5&A Dime
KaYoTiK
Brand-EZ

I'm in a few shots of the video, but my car gets some nice action too!

Watch after the credits for some bonus footage of Black Sushi!

After the movie, press play here!

I Love Clothes (Deadbeat Summer) by Childish Gambino


Lined up around the block!


We missed the fun and games, but there were plenty of cupcakes to go around.


7pm sharp-ish, they're here!




"Suitcase Tour" isn't just a name...


Larger than life personality.

The homies coming out to support.



A little bit over an hour after arrival, the shop is finally open! The people at the front of the line were there since 1am. Dedication pays off.


Some of the gear for sale exclusively on this tour.


Meet and Greet with Johnny outside.




And goofing around with the homies.








Signage.


The crowd begins to thin out allowing the rest of us to finally take a break.


Sweets for my sweet... nevermind.




12am and we still had people in line to meet Johnny!


This Padre foul ball is worth more now.


The Moreno brothers are satisfied! Nice to meet you Johnny. He was pretty stoked to see my original print black on white crossbone classic logo tee in such good condition. It's still one of my favorite shirts out of the hundreds that I have.


Late into the night we finally finish up and get to cut some suitcase cake!




Great job on the homemade suitcase Terry.


No cake for you Roxy.


I came away with this suitcase tour tee and a new tie for the collection! Navy blue with red and white crossbones. Clean.


And Johnny signed my poster (notice that it's the limited edition version made specifically for 5&A Dime!) and also my Johnny Cupcakes handkerchief.


Diahbeetees... diahbeetees...

No comments: