Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nov 15: KP's Magkasama at UCSD

On Saturday, I had to get up early so I could be at UCSD on time for the event. I really wish I got to sleep in. But I gotta come through for the crew this time. It was the 11th annual Magkasama at UCSD, hosted by Kaibigan Pilipino. Basically a gathering of Filipinos to mingle, eat, and buy some stuff.

I was kinda excited for the event, but more excited for the fact that I would be visiting my old alma mater. I hadn't been there since I graduated in 2006 and one of the biggest changes was the brand new student center. Here's the Gilman Parking structure.
Photobucket

This one's for Camp Snoopy! A shot of our old freshman year dorms. The basketball courts and field are still there, but they've added a lot of tables and umbrellas for sitting areas. How luxurious. I wish I had a chance to check out my old room. Maybe next time.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Now some shots of the new student center which features a quad. The quad happened to be where the event was that day.
Photobucket

Photobucket

And the new "Price Center". I'm not sure if they still called it that though since I didn't see any signs.
Photobucket

I got a brief moment to stop by UCSD Catering where I worked for just about 3 years. Good seeing my old boss Pam along with Jenny, and Chef Lee!
Photobucket

I also stopped by one of the tables at the event to make a raffle donation. Picked up this sweet name tag. ERC Class of '06 baby!
Photobucket

I also contributed to this project. Basically people came by to add either a blue, yellow, or red fingerprint to this canvas. With enough fingerprints, it would make the national flag. Can you guess which one is mine? Hint: I used my thumb.
Photobucket

Well back to work. Robert and Julz getting the 5&A Dime banner up. F*ck you too Julz.
Photobucket

Our booth featured all 5&A Dime products: shop logo tees, shop brand tees, and of course our new Manny Pacquiao tees.
Photobucket

Also at our booth were Darcie, Trisha, and Kim. Sorry ladies. I'll take a better picture next time.
Photobucket

Julz: professional purse watcher.
Photobucket

Mark Marcelo (Mindzalike) was also there to spin a bit and get the party going during the intermission. DJ MARK MARCELO IN THE MIX!
Photobucket

(Crickets)
Photobucket

In his defense, it was because it was intermission and they had most of the people indoors attending workshops. I also blame the location for the lack of crowd. The way the campus is designed, it makes it tough for students that live on campus to know what's going on at the center. It probably would have been better if it was at the ERC field like it was last year. It was also hot as f*ck.

No matter though. I got my hustle on and slanged a good stack of shirts. It was nice meeting a lot of other alumni as well as current students. The crew also hit up SDSU for a similar event. My plan was to stay behind and walk around the campus and snap some pictures. There really were a lot of good memories here that I wanted to reflect on.

Unfortunately I got a call from my family back in Anaheim that day that there were mandatory evacuations in our neighborhood because of some brush fires. So basically my original plan of checking out the campus, relaxing in Bumsville, and hitting up Prospect were out the window. I picked up my things downtown and hauled ass back to Anaheim.

No comments: